Monday, August 31, 2009

A backyard within a backyard

These past few days, I have been following the story of Jaycee lee Dugard who was kidnapped and reunited with her family after 18 years. In the International News, it was said that she was held in captivity for 18 years. She was 11 years old then, now at 29 with 2 daughters who were fathered by her kidnapper, Philip Garrido who was an ex-convict and a sex offender. Unbelievably, Jaycee Lee Dugard did not manage to escape where there were possible opportunities. As I have been reading the news, I found out that she lived a normal life with her kidnapper. I was really filled with overwhelming surprise or shock when I have learned that she really bonded with his captor and in fact she considered herself being married to him. She was able to live for 18 years in the backyard within a backyard with a tent as her house as if she was just camping(see photos http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/jaycee-lee-dugard/6109792/Inside-Jaycee-Lee-Dugards-garden-prison.html. Further about the news, Jaycee lee Dugard is experiencing a "Stockholm syndrome" which is a psychological response seen in abducted hostages, in which the hostage shows signs of loyalty to the hostage-taker, regardless of the danger or risk in which they have been placed. I have read some stories similar to this one where a captor later had a relationship with his captive during the course of captivity. This is really happening nowadays. A lot of children are being kidnapped not for any monetary issue but for some reasons that could not be explained. In my own opinion, these things are very rampant because people are falling apart from God's love which is the consequence of being attached more to this world than that of Spiritual needs. It is very sad that most children are victims of this kind of crime wherein at their young minds they experience deep hurt and can lead to more devastating life. This reminds me of how people nowadays are becoming so cruel and selfish. Sometimes, I fear for my children because of what is happening around us. Good, that I have God who can control everything and will protect me and my family from any danger in life. If everyone would only cling to God what a perfect world would it be.

No comments:

Post a Comment